Chicago, IL asked in Immigration Law for Illinois

Q: I need to renew my driver's license but my green card is expired and it takes months to renew a green card. What to do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Apply for your green card renewal as soon as possible. While your green card renewal is pending USCIS may be able to provide a stamp in your passport, which serves as temporary evidence of your status as a permanent resident. The stamp is known as the I-551 temporary evidence stamp. Schedule a USCIS InfoPass appointment to obtain the stamp.


Finesse Law Firm

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.