Cleveland, OH asked in Intellectual Property for Ohio

Q: My mother left me the intellectual property of her late husband a Grammy Award winner, in her will. How do I protect it

Others are using the name and music of my late step father without my permission. What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew Zulieve Esq
Andrew Zulieve Esq

A: I suggest that you discuss the matter with an attorney with expertise in intellectual property law. She or he can advise you if copyright still subsists in each of the works and what rights, if any, exists in connection with the use of a deceased person's name. If there is good reason to believe that the copying and uses are unauthorized and therefore infringing the copyright(s), a cease and desist letter may be an appropriate next step. Any action in the U.S. alleging copyright infringement must be brought in federal court. Best of luck resolving this issue.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.