Auburn, WA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Washington

Q: I live in Washington State. My 17 year old step-daughter wants to live with her father. Do we have to go court for


Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrekita Silva
Andrekita Silva
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Seattle, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: As I understand it, your husband is the non primary parent and the 17 year lives with Mom. Now 17 year old wants to live with you and your husband?

If you can reach an agreement with Mother/ primary parent to modify the parenting plan by agreement, then stepdaughter can live with you informally or you can modify the parenting plan by agreement. However, if no agreement can be reached, you would have to proceed in court with a potentially contested petition to modify the parenting plan.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.