Phoenix, AZ asked in Workers' Compensation and Employment Law for Arizona

Q: If i got hurt at work 3/9/2018 and got on workers comp since 3/13/2018 then why am i not getting paid until 4/19/2018

Fractured my talus bone. Did not get a drug test. Assistants didnt follow procdure. They were arguing on who was going to take me. In the end went home then next day to hospital. After that went to work and the hr lady sent me to fasmat. Had another ex ray done nothing. Till the third time did mri which showed the fracture. Last doctor they sent me to told me that he was going to send me to a specialist cause fasmat was giving me the run a round...

1 Lawyer Answer
Joel Friedman
Joel Friedman
  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Thank you for contacting me about your work injury. There is no,legal requirement for a drug test and failure of your co-workers or supervisors to follow some company procedure also does not affect your right to benefits. I'm not familiar with a medical facility named "fasmat" and depending on where you worked at the time of the injury, you generally have a right to choose your own doctor. There are a limited number of employers who have a right to direct your medical care, but you can go where you want for treatment if you don't work at one of those companies. You can go to any specialist you prefer, and you don't have to wait for a referral because the doctor has already told you that you need a new doctor - a specialist. You can ask your PCP, if you have one, for a recommendation, and a lawyer would be able to refer you if you decide to hire legal counsel.

A fracture of the talus bone may be serious, or it may not, depending on how you were injured and exactly what that means, fracture (for example, a twisting injury may have resulted in what's called an avulsion fracture, which will definitely hurt but may also heal on it's own after a period of time that you are not fully weight-bearing). The time you will be off work also depends on what job you have and its physical demands.

Your payments for time off work depend on your work status - no work or light work. No work you get paid every 14 days, light work every 30 days. If you have any earned income during those periods of time there will be an offset against your WC benefits.

You may feel free to call me Monday after 10:00 a.m. at 602-492-5331. Thank you

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.