Arlington Heights, IL asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Illinois

Q: My son's mother is homeless and unemployed. My son is now living with me. Can I get full custody?

She was forced to leave her home after domestic dispute with her husband. Her Husband has a drug problem and didn't pay their rent in several mths according to her. She's now couch surfing and has a revoked license and no car. No job either. Also, she hadn't taken my child to school in over a month which was recently brought to my attention. My finance and I both work full time. He has his own bedroom and belongings in our home. Both have vehicles and can provide for him no problem, which we have been. We are supposed to meet at my son's school tomorrow to get everything sorted out. Have not heard from her in a few days and her phone is shut off. I need guidance from a professional. I do not know what steps to take. She currently has full custody.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dean Wilhelm Taradash
Dean Wilhelm Taradash
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You can, but you need to file the appropriate Petition. Call a lawyer ASAP and get started on the Petition. I would bring this to the court as an emergency. Feel free to call me at 312-775-1020z

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.