Canonsburg, PA asked in Contracts and Employment Law for Pennsylvania

Q: After signing a offer letter and non compete letter I found out the company was under an FTC investigation. Can get out

I retired from the navy in 2106. Signed an offer letter and non disclosure agreement with a small privately held company. Purchased a home and relocated. Three months later I found out the company was under an FTC investigation. If I would have known, I wouldn’t have joined the company. With the relocation and purchasing of a home I was financially obligated to stay. Staying with the company is harming my reputation. As a result, I am ready to resign, but would like to get out of my non compete agreement. Is this possible?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Carrie A. Ward
Carrie A. Ward
  • Philadelphia, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: It may be possible, but you need to work with an experienced PA attorney review your situation and review the documents that you signed with the company. It is difficult to give you guidance without actually consulting with you directly about your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.