Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Pennsylvania Contracts Questions & Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania on

Q: If you purchased a mobile home on a sales agreement and that agreement has been paid infull and no title

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jun 14, 2019

If the entire debt has been paid--including any late fees--The seller is required to give you a title.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Pennsylvania on

Q: We sold our building and back lot with a contract not through a lawyer but it was notarized almost a year ago.

We did not put an end date on it. We slipped up. We just did a Demand for Payment giving him 10 days too pay or we go to the DJ and now he is fighting us because there is no end date.

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jun 13, 2019

Proceed to adjudication, even with the incomplete contract. Buyers who take advantage of silly mistakes to avoid paying for the property are not well-liked by most judges.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Pennsylvania on

Q: can a seller add stipulations, after the offer was accepted already?

They asked to rent the garage for 45 days after closing, now they want 90 days rent free because of the closing cost they have to cover due to the FHA loan stipulations! I had planned on opening my own business in this garage! Is that legal?

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 30, 2019

Unless there is some written agreement otherwise, the sellers cannot just take over your garage--after closing. So you do not have to allow them any more storage time, especially free storage time.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Family Law for Pennsylvania on

Q: Why does opposing counsel have different people from the firm contact me instead of the lead counsel?

I am the plaintiff in a civil suit (domestic violence) and was counter-sued. I eventually had to go pro se because I ran out of money. The firm representing the other side has since taken to having multiple junior lawyers contact me and when asked about the issue, was told that rules of evidence... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 28, 2019

Here are answers to your three questions:

"My questions: a. am I entitled to a single point of contact?" Answer: No.

b. can I insist on written communication to keep things straight? Answer: Yes, but they may not agree to it.

c. how do I deal with a conference call of...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Pennsylvania on

Q: Can two lawyers from the same firm, one is licensed in NJ and the other is licensed in PA share fees from a PA case.

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 28, 2019

I am unaware of any bar association in the United States that does not allow its licensed lawyers to split or share fees with any other LICENSED lawyer in any other state. So, unless the rules of the PA Bar Association forbid its licensed lawyers from splitting legal fees with any lawyers who are... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Pennsylvania on

Q: Is a contractor entitled to a deposit for work not done yet and no contract. All I have is an estimate for the work only

I already paid for all the materials

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 14, 2019

Yes, unless there is a written contract that says otherwise. Your very best bet here is to go through with the rest of the VERBAL contract and let the contractor finish the work he promised to do. (And get a contract in writing.)

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania on

Q: Regarding a nonprofit entity, what is the law concerning first right of refusal with a property for sale?

I submitted a bid on a property that was being sold by another nonprofit agency and the real estate agent ignored our submission.

Peter N. Munsing answered on Apr 30, 2019

It's up to the property holder as to whether they wish to respond. Common courtesy would suggest they respond. You may always submit a bid to the officers /board of the non-profit. But like any seller, they may decline if it doesn't match their offer. An offer of sale is for a stated price. Most... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Pennsylvania on

Q: Statutes of Limitation PA.

We had a contract with a home improvement company. We did give them a few months as a due date in the contract date. They were little late getting done, but we found out some defects as the contractor never got permits. We had to pay for the permits and some work. The original contractor never... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing answered on Apr 19, 2019

Assuming it's a written contract you have 4 years. Runs from the date they breach the contract. However if the contract was signed two years ago you're well within the period.

2 Answers | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law, Civil Litigation and Contracts for Pennsylvania on

Q: Verizon come install cable I left my window up cat got out they never close the window and were on 3floor

the cat is know miss and i would love my cat back there are responsible for this action

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 18, 2019

To the best of my knowledge there is no answer to this question, in part because it is not a legal question. Leave the window open a few days to see if your cat will come back home.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law and Contracts for Pennsylvania on

Q: If a business name and entity was stolen or transferred without permission, do I sue or contact local authorities?

Originally started business with sibling who then decided to become sole proprietor without my knowledge. She then made a request for a business name change that she took my name off, stole the business and the name from me along with the logo and documents such as contract agreements that she... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 17, 2019

Contacting "local authorities" will probably do no good because this is clearly a family business matter. And unless you can show some actual damages the courts will also be hesitant to get involved. Finally, unless the actual amount of money involved is very substantial it is likely that the cost... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Civil Litigation for Pennsylvania on

Q: Contracted with a basement refinishing contractor with no work 2 years and 30 K later

Basement contract, upfront 30K no work 5 months. Due to family issues had to delay further since initial promise by contractor work would be completed in three months. When I was able to restart work told VP would contact me. Now it has lapsed over 2 years without contact by company or VP on work... Read more »

Elizabeth Tarasi answered on Apr 10, 2019

You should be able to bring a breach of contract action against the contractor. I would need to see the contract you signed.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Employment Law and Employment Discrimination for Pennsylvania on

Q: Can she do that? What can I do ? Do I have to pay the bill? I don’t believe I should since I didn’t sign a contract.

I worked at a daycare from December 11 to March 22. I was expected to get paid today and didn’t due to some daycare expense issues. I “owed” $690 in daycare expenses and had a plan set up with my boss to take out $50 biweekly. since I had to relocate, due to not having a place to stay nearby... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 1, 2019

Let me break it down for you: If you received $690 more in daycare services than the amount of your paycheck--and then quit working at the daycare--it does not appear unlawful for your employer to withhold and apply your last paycheck to cover a portion of what you owe them. Nor do they have to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania on

Q: The seller of the property I'm buying passed away suddenly. Does the estate still have to go thru with the sale?

The seller did not have a will but was married. The wife was not on the purchase contract or property deed. Property is in Pennsylvania.

Elizabeth Tarasi answered on Mar 27, 2019

I would need to read the agreement of sale to give you an answer. I suggest you make an appointment with an attorney to discuss this.

1 Answer | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime, Contracts and Civil Rights for Pennsylvania on

Q: How to challenge personal or subject matter jurisdiction in court?

Timur Akpinar answered on Mar 23, 2019

There are a number of ways to challenge subject matter jurisdiction in maritime cases. One of these is raising the issue of location, in terms of whether an accident took place on navigable waters.

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Pennsylvania on

Q: Where do I find the PA law that defines the requirements for what is needed to declare a room as a bedroom

A home that we are considering buying has a 3rd floor room that the seller is identifying as a bedroom. We do not believe that it is but we cannot find the minimum requirements that would deem it to be, or not, a bedroom. Thank you

Nancy L Lanard answered on Mar 3, 2019

Here is the site that defines it under the PA code: Hope it helps.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Products Liability, Business Law and Military Law for Pennsylvania on

Q: Can I use my military ID/base access as a job recruiter or does this violate any laws regarding financial gain?

I am an Army officer, federal subcontractor and private business owner. Interested in attending school graduations at a base with the intent of hiring.

Peter N. Munsing answered on Feb 4, 2019

Better check in with JAG corps on this--sounds like potential multiple violations. You should know that access is for the specific purpose only. Can you hand out cards, or other items? Not sure of that but if someone is looking to burn you you're giving them a match it seems to me.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Contracts, Mergers & Acquisitions and Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania on

Q: If an LLC (with a land lease stating the lease cannot be sold) is sold, does this also mean the lease is sold? Breach?

How do I get around a breach? I'm trying to acquire the LLC and continue the current lease as is. The LLC owner wants to retire and offered to sell me his business. Would a partnership with the LLC be a better option rather than an acquisition? Another detail about this situation is that I am also... Read more »

Elizabeth Tarasi answered on Jan 8, 2019

Who is the current landlord? Please give me a call in my office. Your transaction seems a little more involved than can be done in a message forum. My office number is 412-391-7135

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Pennsylvania on

Q: I have an iPhone from my brother. I'm not on the contract. He said I have to pay or he will sue. Do I have to pay?

We had a disagreement with him and we are splitting ways.

I accidentally broke the screen.

I pay him monthly for the bill, that is in his name.

I'm not on the contract.

Cary B. Hall answered on Dec 31, 2018

He could sue you in your local small claims court for unjust enrichment, yes. Do you have to pay? That's up to you, but he may be able to obtain a judgment against you. Best of luck to you.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Pennsylvania on

Q: Need help to decide notice to Quit deadline

In a nutshell, tenant had written month to month lease signed less than 6 months ago, but lived there for 17 month on verbal lease. Tenant ended their written lease agreement with a 30 day notice on the 1st of month. I acknowledged the lease ending and noted that I expect tenant to move out at the... Read more »

Elizabeth Tarasi answered on Dec 14, 2018

You gave him the 30 days. File at the magistrate then give him the 10 day notice the day before you file.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Business Law and Collections for Pennsylvania on

Q: Arbitration hearing or Judgement Issue?

In November of 2018 I received a notice from a sheriff’s deputy that a credit card debt that I had not paid was scheduled for arbitration for a date in July 2019. On December 3, 2018 I received a letter from the same law firm indicating that I had not filed a defense or objection in writing and... Read more »

Cary B. Hall answered on Dec 7, 2018

The problem may be your "assumptions." I suggest contacting the Delaware County Bar Association for an attorney referral, and then sit down with him/her and going over everything. Knowledge is power, y'know?

Best of luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.