Pelham, NH asked in Estate Planning for New Hampshire

Q: Hi, my mother is in a will to inherit my great aunts house. Can this be changed by anyone else?

Can the house be taken away by a family member caring for the elder? Can the funds be exhausted by family member taking care of finances ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Kelly Levasseur
Joseph Kelly Levasseur
  • Manchester, NH
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: Under certain circumstances there is the possibility the Will could be changed by someone other than the Aunt. You would have to look at the agreement for services because yes, the funds she has saved would most likely be used for her care and the home could be attached or sold for her care if she has not put the house into Trust or other legal alternatives to protect that home. As long as she is of sound mind she can change the terms of her Will. Being a beneficiary does not mean you will automatically get the house, she can change her mind if she wants.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.