Norway, ME asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Maine

Q: if I go with somebody and else and my parents call the police on me do they have to take me back home to my parents?

I am almost 16 and possibly pregnant. I know emancipation is an option but I want the process to be as fast as possible my parents will do everything in their power to keep me away from the father of my child which is not what I want. So I would like to move out when I turn 16 can I just leave and if my parents call the police do I really have to worry about them forcing me to go home? Or will I have to go through emancipation?

1 Lawyer Answer
Edward Chris L'Hommedieu
Edward Chris L'Hommedieu
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Lewiston, ME

A: That depends on your age and maturity.

If you are 10, then yes, police will apply pressure for you to go home. And they'll call DHHS.

If you are 17, different story.

You can apply for emancipation and the court will give you a court-appointed lawyer assuming you have no assets.

Sorry you're going through this...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.