Fairport, NY asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Probate for Connecticut

Q: How does one remove a 'life-use' clause from a real estate quit-claim deed?

Our grandmother died in 2003, having previously (1988) signed a Quit-Claim Deed giving her house to my brother, reserving life use for herself. She had no assets when she passed other than the 'life use' clause; we neglected to probate her will (out of ignorance) and now cannot locate the will. How can we remove her life-use clause from the deed and give clear title of the property to my brother?

1 Lawyer Answer
Christopher H. McCormick
Christopher H. McCormick
  • West Hartford, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: Unfortunately the only way to get rid of the life use is to probate your grandmother's estate. An estate tax return reflecting the full value of the property needs to be filed with the probate court and a certificate releasing the estate tax be issued and recorded. This terminates the life use interest in the property.

Steven Basche agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.