Baton Rouge, LA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Louisiana

Q: I was forced to break a lease because of the safety for myself and my daughter after threats of deadly violence.

A written notice was given in advance to the landlord, but I am now being sued in small claims court for breaking the lease. The home was vacated and left in better condition than when it was rented to me. Can they do this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Christie Tournet
Christie Tournet
  • Mandeville, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: The copy of a written notice of an issue is always useful. If the problem went uncured after notice to landlord, you very well may have had "cause" to break the lease. Specifically, in a lease, a tenant can agree to waive the default obligations/warranties of the landlord to provide a place free from vices/defects (problems), but the landlord CANNOT require that the tenant waive a warranty for vices or defects that SERIOUSLY affect health or safety. So, in court, you will need to show the problems with the premises that affected your health or safety, notice to the landlord, and landlord's failure to cure.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.