Mukwonago, WI asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and International Law for Wisconsin

Q: Got married in Italy, trying to get a divorce and solve child support issues. International lawyer needed

1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg
  • International Law Lawyer
  • Potomac, MD

A: I don't mind the work, but I'm willing to bet before interviewing and researching it that the non-custodial spouse is in a country that is a signatory of the Hague Convention. You need a lawyer in the jurisdiction where the custodial parent and the children live. The child support formula of that jurisdiction will be used in reaching a judgment, and the country where the non-custodial parent lives will enforce it. Sometimes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.