Clearfield, UT asked in Immigration Law for Utah

Q: Is a car loan, not making enough money, home country being violent, & loss of job, enough to have a I-601A waiver work?

My wife has DACA, goes to work full time and goes to college. What is the best possible route for her to gain citizenship/ a green card? She applied for DACA at 18. I assume she might get a 10 year ban when she returns to Mexico.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: You need to see an immigration attorney. While it is likely that your wife has a bar, it might not be 10 years. She might not have one at all.

Your wife started accruing unlawful presence on her 18th birthday. If she got her DACA grant within 180 days of applying, she might not have accrued enough to have to file a waiver.

If she does need a waiver, she will have to show that you will suffer extreme hardship if her application for one is not granted. Waiver applications are complex, so finding someone with experience completing them would be a good idea.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.