Houma, LA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Louisiana

Q: Do I have a right to break a lease if I was forced out of my apartment?

My apartment was rendered uninhabitable by smoke and structural damage caused by a lethal fire that occurred directly next door to us. I filed a claim with my renter's insurance but we have been displaced for a week now and will be for at least another based on professional estimates. The apartment complex told us we had to still pay a full moth's rent, since it was not their fault, and that the deceased tenant's insurance will reimburse us for any rent paid that was not used. We were also told that we cannot break the lease if we wanted to since the fire is not their fault. Have our rights been violated? I have read Louisiana civil code articles 2693 and 2715 and believe we do indeed have the right to reduced rent and termination of the lease. Also, we are not 100 percent sure that the tenant caused the fire. Should I hire a lawyer? I could really use some guidance here. Thanks!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Christie Tournet
Christie Tournet
  • Mandeville, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: If you cannot occupy the leased premises, you likely should not have to pay rent. However, your lease may have a specific "fire and casualty clause" spelling out the exact remedies. For example, if the premises are untenable, abatement of rent should certainly occur, and if repairs not made by a certain time, the lease should be terminated. Specific review of the terms are necessary to provide more precise recommendations, and then, if warranted, demand to the Lessor.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.