Bridgeville, PA asked in Elder Law and Estate Planning for Pennsylvania

Q: I have been separated for 6 years and my husband may have to go to a nursing home. Can they take my house?

I live in Pennsylvania

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Wendy Ashby
Wendy Ashby
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Quakertown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: The answer to that question depends on additional information that you would need to provide. However, I can say the Medical Assistance laws provide protections for a spouse that would include the marital residence if the healthy spouse is residing in it. You mentioned that you are separated, so the details of that may impact whether you can maintain this protection, or if other protections may be available because of your current marital status. You should seek the advice of an attorney that specializes in both divorce and long-term care/asset protection laws.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.