Charlestown, RI asked in Domestic Violence for Rhode Island

Q: What is the max sentence you can get on a domestic simple assault and domestic disorderly conduct misdemeanor charges.

I leant my daughter money to pay her rent for a few months a couple years ago. She promised to pay it back with this income tax return, when she txd me the day before to come in the morning, we got into a tif about the amount. So I got to her house around 10 am she asked only I come up and not her stepfather. when I got there she asked me to sit with her so she could tell me she wasn't giving me any money. I live an hour away and could not understand why she would tell me to drive there just to tell me she wasn't giving me anything. I told her I was going to get her step dad and we would wait until her boyfriend got home. I then stood up and so did she. We are on the back porch which is about 4 ft wide. She then punched me in the face, I don't remember much after that, but I know I defended myself. When she hit me she yelled to someone call 911,like she had it planned. I have a record because I used to do drugs. I've been clean for 6 years. And haven't been in trouble since.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas Briody
Thomas Briody
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Providence, RI
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: The penalty is up to a year in jail and counseling if you have no prior domestic convictions. You really need to engage a lawyer in private to discuss defenses or alternatives. Good luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.