Dallas, TX asked in Traffic Tickets for Texas

Q: Can I get a speeding ticket when I only have my permit?

I am 19, and I was supposedly going 17 over the speed (77 in a 60) and there wasn't a sign posted to show the speed when I merged on to the road and didn't see one once I got pulled over. I swear I thought it was 70, but since I thought it was, yes, I was still going 77 without noticing. I only have a permit that has the one restriction of lofs 21 or over and the cop didn't check the passenger for their license so I don't think they noticed the restriction. (Yes, the passenger was licensed and 24). So, what are the legal conditions since I only have a permit?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Grant St Julian III

  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Yes, you can be issued a speeding citation even if you only have a permit, and you must respond to any allegations filed against you.

Roxann Pais Cotroneo

  • Washington, DC
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You must contact the court and enter a plea. You may plea "guilty, no contest, or not guilty". To keep this citation off your driving records, you need to ask the court for deferred adjudication, which will require you to pay a certain amount of money within a specified time period and not commit any other violations. There are serious consequences if you are found guilty and convicted so please try to keep off your record. Here is link to learn more about Texas Driver Responsibility Program:


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.