Denver, CO asked in Traffic Tickets for New Mexico

Q: Careless driving, doing 106 on a 55 zone what could happen?

Officer stated that i also had my 2 year old daughter in the rear seat

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Glenn Smith Valdez
Glenn Smith Valdez
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Albuquerque, NM
  • Licensed in New Mexico

A: While jail is a possibility with a careless driving charge in New Mexico - (up to 9 days and up to a $300 fine) it is very very unlikely. Quite simply, the jails in our state are overcrowded and expensive to run, the last thing most judges want to do is put the mother of a two-year old in jail. You should try to put the worry of jail behind you and consider the realistic results. A conviction for careless driving will put 3 points on your New Mexico Drivers License, and will likely result in higher insurance rates. There are ways to avoid this - you many want to seek legal counsel, or if you cannot afford a lawyer request the appointment of a public defender. In the end, there is an excellent chance that you can keep this charge off your driving record.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.