Plainfield, NJ asked in Employment Law and Libel & Slander for New Jersey

Q: How should I deal with an old employer that is working [] to blacklist me and reveal I was on leave for years?

I left on some very bad terms with an old employer after a medical leave and they are working to blacklist me (via enterprise software). I'd take them off my resume but I spent most of my adult career [on paper] there.

Situation: I had a sudden illness due to a loss that I struggled with for months before going on leave. I ended up reporting my boss to HR for inappropriate behavior while I was dealing with my illness (I didn't mention discrimination but it all stemmed from that). I was a very junior guy and my boss successfully spun me into a troublemaker while I was away to all my old colleagues and the executives of the firm. So he killed my network there.

How do I move forward with a fortune 500 firm going after me? Can I get them to back off? No one will talk to me or tell me how I was slandered. I've invested so many years building my skill set and experiences. They actually got me fired from my last job as they had business dealings with my new employer.

1 Lawyer Answer
H. Scott Aalsberg
H. Scott Aalsberg
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You could have a lawyer send them a letter but that will cost you a lot of money and still may not help, but it is a start.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.