Asked in Divorce and Child Custody for New York

Q: I’m looking to file for divorce due to infidelity .I want to obtain full custody of our child

I’m looking to file for divorce due to infidelity .

I want to obtain full custody of our child and no demand for any assets division etc . Would prefer him to pay child support .

He doesn’t help with anything now ( child is 16 months old )

Also I’m on conditional Green card right now , so need divorce ce papers to b finalized in order to move on with my self petitioning immigration case.

What document is needed to be prepaired for my husbend to sign so thy divorce will go fast ?

What are my steps in finding a good lawyer who can assist me in this process and what is the cost normally ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David P. Badanes
David P. Badanes
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Northport, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: In order to get your divorce as fast as possible, you should file for a "no fault" divorce. With fully custody, he would have to pay child support based on his income.

As for finding a good lawyer, you can read the attorney's website and reviews.

Cost: It is always hard to predict how much a divorce will cost. There are many factors that can affect the cost. If your husband has a greater income than yours, it may be possible to get him to pay some or most of your attorney fees. I suggest that you do not go with the cheapest attorney, and that when you call your attorney, ask him/her what they think it will cost.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.