Boynton Beach, FL asked in Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for Oregon

Q: I was harassed by my former landlady for asking to have a guest over in my basement apartment..I was later given a 30day

Notice to evict all because I wanted a guests over and there was nothing in contract regarding guests.While moving out I was harassed by her and her boyfriend(called 911). Then served by boyfriend at my new residence. Summons was served without envelope so my new landlord could see it. I soon lost my new residence. Landlord #1 is suing me for last months rent and kept my deposit. I surrendered the basement apt before the new month was due clean and damage free. I felt endangered when her boyfriend found out where I moved to and served the summons openly!

Sorry I meant does she really have a claim against me?

I do not want to counter sue and because of the grief of loosing my second tenancy would only like my deposit returned to me nothing more. The threats and harassment and finally evict notice would that be enough to aid me in winning this case?

1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Perhaps but I don't see what claims you would have based just on the facts posted. You may well have a defense if she Sue's you for the rent you say you don't owe and you may or may not have claims against her regarding your security deposit but that would require a careful review with a landlord-tenant attorney. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.