Victorville, CA asked in Criminal Law for California

Q: My roommate was selling drugs and they raided the pad they found drugs in his room n i had 10 gran i had been saving

He was already convicted and did time my money was not evidence towards his case therefore i should get get my monry back..

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Hayden Gifford Smith
Hayden Gifford Smith
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Visalia, CA

A: How long ago was that? If the jurisdiction instituted forfeiture proceedings against him, it may be too late.

Did you ever receive a notice of any sort indicating you were named as a party in civil legal stuff? Related to the roomste’s bust and your 10 racks?

I am going to make an educated guess and say the authorities did not believe the money was yours and probably feel like you ought to count yourself lucky you didn’t get popped also.

You need to file a claim opposing forfeiture. They would very much like to keep your money. Move on it quickly.

Go hire a lawyer (call me if you’re in CA) or go to the Prosecutor and ask him or her what his intentions are for your 10 large.

On second thought, probably best not to get into a conversation with law enforcement. Not that you're culpable, you're adverse in a dispute over the 10k and they have tactical superiority. (Lawyers and whatnot.)

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: more info needed.

how much time has passed?

i assume it is quite a bit of time since proceedings appear to be in the past.

no matter what you say they will think this was money from drug sales.

you are better off having a lawyer make inquiry as you may say something that will get you in trouble.

hire a lawyer asap

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.