Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Alabama

Q: How can I get a 3rd degree domestic violence charge in Alabama removed, I was 20 at the time and plead guilty.

Me and my ex wife plead guilty to a misdemeanor domestic violence charge back in 2012. We were both pretty scared since neither had been in trouble with the law before and plead guilty during the hearing in the belief that it would make things easier on the court and therefore us. I was not aware that I’m doing so would stick me with a permanent record. So my question would be if there is any possible way to have this removed or sealed so I can move past it, I’m aware of the youthful offender status but I was not made aware of it at any point during the whole process which included probation, classes, and regular drug testing, also I have not been in legal trouble at all since.

1 Lawyer Answer

A: This is an excellent example of how ignorance of the law can really hurt a person. You have pleaded guilty to DV3rd and now wish you had not. Alabama's law on expungement won't work when you pleaded guilty.

Your YO status is long gone.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.