Reston, VA asked in Child Support for Virginia

Q: After a minor graduates from high school in VA do child support payments continue until the age of 18?

Child begins college at 17. Details TBD whether child will continue to "reside" with one parent or live at college.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: The child support obligation in Virginia is until the child turns 18. It can continue past 18 if the child is in high school and resides with the parent receiving support. In your case, until the child turns 18, there is an obligation to support them.

Steve Miyares agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.