Saint Paul, MN asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Wrongful Death for Minnesota

Q: How can I get legal custody of my 2 great-nephews whose mother and 2yr old sister were just killed in an auto accident?

My niece and her youngest child were killed 4/2/18 And her 2 surviving children were taken from our care by the biological father of the younger child. They were taken to their "grandmothers " whom ny niece has told several authorities and family members she would never want her children to be around because of her severe drug use, and child protection cases involving my niece previous to turning 18. She is trying to attain monies which will come once a wrongful death lawsuit is initiated.

1 Lawyer Answer
D. Patrick McCullough
D. Patrick McCullough
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • St. Paul, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: Very, very sad for you. You should consider hiring an experienced family law attorney to help you. These type of proceeding are quite complicated and you will need expert help.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.