Litchfield, NH asked in Child Support and Family Law for New Hampshire

Q: If support payer decides on a career change which reduces his income, by, say, $10k, can the support order be amended?

I've read that a support order can only be changed within the first 3 years if there is a substantial change in circumstances. Would this qualify as a substantial change? And does the support payers decision to take a pay cut play into the decision?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amy C. Connolly
Amy C. Connolly
  • Bedford, NH
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: It would depend on how much the person made annually. If the individual earned $150,000 a year, a $10,000 decrease may not be substantial. However, if the person makes $40,000 a year, a $10,000 decrees could be considered grounds to seek a support modification. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.