Lexington, NC asked in Construction Law for North Carolina

Q: Can I sue developer for not completing front yard drainage a year later?

I had developer build house for us and we occupied 1/25/2017. The front yard has significant drainage issues and developer said they would fix it. This hasnt happened. How long should I give them and what court should I sue them in?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jake Andrew Snider
Jake Andrew Snider
  • Construction Law Lawyer
  • Asheville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: The short answer to your initial question is: Maybe. There is a chance you'll be able to sue the developer or possibly the contractor who built the home. You'll need to review the contract; plus when you receive a home like this there may be a warranty of habitability that the failing drainage could interfere with. Of course, you'll need to weigh the cost of filing suit against the cost of simply paying to install the drainage yourself.

Determining the viability and value of your claim will require analysis by a lawyer specialized in construction law. I recommend contacting one soon.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.