Bartlett, IL asked in Criminal Law for Illinois

Q: I work at a pizza restaurant as a delivery driver. I have been accused of altering credit card tips on the receipt.

The customers making the accusations have no proof, just stating what they “remember”. Can I be arrested for this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James G. Dimeas
James G. Dimeas
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Schaumburg, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: The bottom line is that if the police and prosecutors believe that they have enough evidence to convince a judge or a jury that you are guilty of a crime then they might charge you with a crime and arrest you. Since you don't know what the police are doing and what evidence they may have, if the police want to talk to you, you should immediately demand that they get you a lawyer. Do not talk to the police or sign any statements without having a lawyer present. Once you demand a lawyer, all questioning must stop. If you are being charged with a crime you should immediately talk to an experienced criminal defense attorney.

Juan Ooink agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.