Jacksonville, FL asked in Landlord - Tenant for Florida

Q: What are my rights as a tenant when the landlord tries to move stranger into out house with 5 days notice?

I currently rent a single-family home. The landlord emailed me today saying that a person that I have never met will be moving into the house in 5 days. My lease says nothing about subleasing or anything of the sort. My lease ends at the end of July but I don't want to live with a stranger. What are my options?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steve Louis-Charles
Steve Louis-Charles
  • North Miami, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If your lease agreement states that you are renting a single family residence and is entirely silent as to strangers subsequently moving at some later point, than such a decision of your landlord to do so afterwards is a breach of the lease agreement. Under such a circumstance the law permits a tenant the opportunity to unilaterally terminate their lease agreement without having any responsibility to pay further rent. The tenant (i.e. yourself) must move out by the way. Hope this helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.