Georgetown, KY asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Kentucky

Q: Inherited land has a mobile home on it, not to be inherited. What do I do?

My grandfather’s original will stated that his mobile home and the 5 acres of land it sat on were to be inherited by his daughters after his girlfriend (of 20 years) dies. She was to be able to live out her days there. He married her shortly before his death solely so she could receive his pension. She took him a few weeks before his death to change his will to reflect their marriage. He had bought a new mobile home since the original will had been made, as well. While updating it, somehow his wife also made sure that the new home was NOT included in their inheritence (he wasn’t in his right mind, she snuck him away to do it). So when she dies, what will happen to the mobile home? It’s sitting on land that will rightfully be my mom and her sister’s. How long will her family have to move it from the property?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Depending on what the new will says, the new wife may take under the new will. Once they married, it became a whole new ballgame. Once she marriedto him, she is entitled to at least 1/2 of the realty and 1/3of the personalty. If she gets that under the new will, fine. If she doesn't, she can reject the will and take 1/2 and 1/3 as if he had died interstate. Your mom and sisters need to consult an attorney immediately to see if they need to contest his new will.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.