Charlotte, NC asked in Bankruptcy, Business Law, Civil Litigation and Landlord - Tenant for North Carolina

Q: What if tenant in retail space declares bankruptcy and is being evicted? How do you evict them? (

Judge granted for judgement of possession (ruled in our) favor but tenant filed for bankruptcy on the 10th day (last day to appeal). Can I still file for a writ of of possession to remove from the property? (I know bankruptcy creates automatic stay but he filed after the judges ruling but before the appeal date was over) what needs to be done next?

2 Lawyer Answers

Timothy Denison

  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: You must petition the bankruptcy judge to terminate the stay as to you. Once the stay is terminated, you can then go back to the eviction judge and get the sheriff to remove them from your property.

Paige Kurtz

  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You will need to seek relief in the bankruptcy court. Once the bankruptcy is filed, there is an automatice stay on all actions against the debtor.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.