Chicago, IL asked in Immigration Law for Illinois

Q: I am a DACA recipent and I am going to be marrying a US Citizen.

Recently Trump stopped the use of "Advanced Parole" for DACA and that limits the possibilty of going that route. I was brought to the USA illegally when I was 9 is there another route I can go for obtaining a GC without having to exit the country for months

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew J Hartnett
Matthew J Hartnett
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Philadelphia, PA

A: You won't have to exit for months. If you entered without inspection as a 9 year old, you can file an I-601A waiver after your I-130 is approved. After that, if the I-601A is approved and the consular appointment is scheduled, you would spend 2-3 weeks in your home country. Contact an attorney to discuss in further detail to evaluate whether you are a good candidate for the the I-130/601a process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.