Concordia, KS asked in Landlord - Tenant for Kansas

Q: How much time do I need to give tenets to up the rent?

My renters never pay on time, and I have to pay every month on a loan for that house. I fix every problem quickly when it is brought to my attention. They won't sign a contract either. What can I do to get them out or raise the rent do to them always being late.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell
  • Lawrence, KS
  • Licensed in Kansas

A: If the lease is a month-to-month, a landlord may provide notice at least one month prior to a rent-paying date that the lease is going to terminate at the end of the following month. In a separate written communication, a landlord could communicate an offer to enter into a written lease at a higher rent, while being clear that the communication is not a lease extension itself. Communications in residential landlord-tenant situations should be clear. Ambiguity in communications is often construed against the interest of the landlord.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.