Fort Lauderdale, FL asked in Real Estate Law and Civil Litigation for Florida

Q: I was served with Complaint of Ejectment papers. I filed a written response in court within 20 days. What happens next?

I was living with my now ex fiance for two years. He served me wit a Complaint of Ejectment on April 5, 2018. Before this time, I never recieve any type of documentation from him asking me to leave. I asked him to provide me with enough time to find another place to live. I even asked him to cancel the Ejectment so that it wouldn't affect my ability to rent a place for my daughter and myself. He refused. I paid rent every month for my daughter and myself to live in the house. I also purchased food every month and contributed to other household expenses. I know that I must leave his home. My understanding of ejectment is someone claiming rights to the property and one who does not pay rent. I feel like this will be an unfair judgment on my record. There seems to be no assistance for a person in this situation.

1 Lawyer Answer
Jennifer Isaksen
Jennifer Isaksen
  • Bushnell, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: I'm sorry for your situation and I understand your frustration trying to negotiate resolution with someone that refuses to negotiate! An ejectment action is basically an eviction against someone that does not have a lease. Your ex will have to schedule a hearing, so you will have your opportunity to explain to the judge all of your positive attributes and if you haven't already moved on by the time of the hearing, ask the judge for the additional time you need. In the meantime, I would start looking for a new place and focus on the journey of starting your new, healthy and positive life with your daughter! Best of Luck! Jennifer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.