Tucson, AZ asked in Domestic Violence and Wrongful Death for Arizona

Q: It’s court ordered I let him claim my son for taxes every other year. Will I get in trouble if I don’t sign form 8332?

1 Lawyer Answer
Mallory Powers
Mallory Powers
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: It is difficult to provide an answer without seeing the court order and knowing some more details. However, if your not signing the form 8332 would prohibit your child's father from taking the child as an exemption pursuant to a court order, then it is likely that he would be able to request that the Court compel you to sign the form, or to hold you in contempt of court for failure to follow the order. I suggest speaking with a knowledgeable family law attorney to assist you with your concerns about signing the relevant tax forms.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.