Hammond, IN asked in Divorce for Indiana

Q: My daughter-in -law states in initial divorce paperwork that she has no money in her retirement account.

Other people who work at her employment have over $100,000 in their funds and she has worked several places in the last 20 years.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Betsy Walits
Betsy Walits
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: This is not a question; a litigant in this situation needs an attorney who will demand statements of retirement accounts, by subpoena if necessary. Both the attorney and client need to feel satisfied that all discovery has been exchanged. In Lake County a “readiness certificate” must be filed which states that the parties are ready to proceed. You cannot divide an estate you can’t value.

Alexander Florian Steciuch agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.