Duson, LA asked in Estate Planning and Tax Law for Louisiana

Q: My uncle passed away without a will. AllNieces and nephews except one who cannot be found agreed to give home and

Property to his brother my father. That was 5 years ago. The house is just sitting there. Is there anything we can do without finding the one person?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Christie Tournet
Christie Tournet
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Mandeville, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Yes. There are a lot of other factors at play, however. Was the Uncle married? If not, did the Uncle have only separate property? No children? If the uncle's siblings are the only heirs, they may be able to take the property via succession - depends upon solvency of the estate, but a hearing can be had, if all other, located heirs are in agreement. Otherwise, a curator may need to be appointed. Addressing these factors with counsel well versed in probate will assist in your obtaining a more precise recommendation to proceed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.