Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Louisiana Tax Law Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Louisiana on

Q: How long does the Louisiana department of revenue have to collect back taxes?

We did file and we owed for 2008, 2010 and 2011. However we also owed the IRS for this years and we were dealing with getting a resolution with the IRS. We have not received anything from Louisiana Department of Revenue for all these years, until this week we received a notice that our drivers... Read more »

Andrew M Steiger answered on Jul 8, 2019

The answer to this type of question generally depends on whether you filed a tax return. If you did not file a return, the statute of limitations on collections generally does not begin and there is no time limit, although the state department of revenue may have guidelines to how many years back... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Louisiana on

Q: Bought new mobile home in 2000 I'm disabled couldn't read well and they didn't charge me taxes now I'm trying to donate

And they say I owe taxes on it 19 years worth

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 7, 2019

Although it will be very difficult for you to explain how you managed to buy a mobile home 19 years ago and never--even once--heard about the annual property taxes that everyone else in the mobile home park has been paying for 19 years, I still think it is worth a shot. Perhaps the taxing... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law and Gaming for Louisiana on

Q: Can I ask for pet supply donations in exchange for a chance to win a gift card?

The donations will be collected by a business but will be donated to 501c3 organizations.

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 24, 2019

Many states regulate people and companies that try to conduct their own raffles or other similar activities. Better ask someone who can tell you if you are moving in the wrong direction.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Family Law and Tax Law for Louisiana on

Q: If I was rewarded sole custody in sep.2018,bc of physical abuse to me&1 of my2 children,do can I claim kids on taxes?

Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on Apr 10, 2019

If you have sole custody you can file for dependency deduction.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Louisiana on

Q: What are my rights to get half the tax money recieved by my husband? We lived together all year and have 4 kids he claim

He was the only income last year, we lived together all year and are legally married. He filed the taxes while in prison & is refusing to give me any info or money. What are my rights as his wife to get my half of the money? Why doesnt he have to file married filing jointly? Is it legal for him to... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 3, 2019

This very unfair situation is only one of many that go along with being married.

There is no law or rule requiring your spouse to file jointly; and even if you and your spouse did file jointly, there is no law or rule requiring him (or you) to split any refund.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Louisiana on

Q: How do I File taxes when I live in texas and my wife lives in louisiana where I come home to on the weekends

I want to change my address to texas. How would I file my federal and state taxes taking Louisiana residency laws in consideration

D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Mar 22, 2019

Put your TX address on your Federal return.

Get a TX driver's license.

Intend to reside in TX indefinitely.

For any LA source income you would need to file a non-resident return.

You'll have to file a part year resident return for the year you move away from LA to...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Tax Law for Louisiana on

Q: I received $100,000 car accident.34000 to attorney36000 hospital15000 to mom 15000 to me. Owe fed state tax

Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on Nov 21, 2018

Why is your Mom receiving $15,000? You don't give enough information to answer your question.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Louisiana on

Q: If I sell a condo for a $40,000.00 loss, how much of that can I write off on my taxes & over what time span?

This condo is in Baton Rouge, LA. My residency is in Houma, LA

Jon Dowat answered on Oct 5, 2018

The amount of the "write off" depends on the nature of the Condo. Was the Condo you personal residence or was it an investment property.

If it was a personal residence you will not be able to claim the loss. If it was an investment property you will have generated an ordinary loss. One...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Louisiana on

Q: In Livingston Parish, if I paid the property taxes on family owned land, can I claim that land and put in my name?

Christie Tournet answered on May 21, 2018

No. Under Louisiana law, property is conveyed only in 1 of 3 ways: by a deed (if someone is still alive), by succession (either by Will, or default state law for distribution of one's estate), or by adverse possession (owning as owner for a certain time period). If you are talking about "family... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Tax Law for Louisiana on

Q: Israeli on a longterm visa in the US, how are taxes calculated?

My friend is self employed, and in fact pays -me-, we're trying to get him immigrated here since most of the team is US based. He pays himself 3k a month from our crowdsourced funds. Can anybody explain whether or not he'd be paying israeli taxes if he was living here for the duration of his visa,... Read more »

Carl Shusterman answered on May 20, 2018

I suggest that you see a CPA. Good luck!

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law and Social Security for Louisiana on

Q: In 2015 my son was on S/S through my retirement. On 12/10/2015 he turned 18 and was enrolled in high school 12th grade.

They sent me a letter asking if he was still in school his benefits would be paid up to his graduation date. Which I did and they did. After graduation my son went to work. Imagine that. Now the good part. SSA wants him to pay the three months of S/S he received in 2016 cause he went to work and... Read more »

Douglas Lee Bryan answered on May 9, 2018

The SSA allows you to ask for them to forgive an overpayment IF (1) the overpayment is not your fault and (2) making you reimburse the overpayment would create a financial hardship. They are generally fair at granting this relief from my experience. Your son needs to contact the office listed on... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Tax Law for Louisiana on

Q: My uncle passed away without a will. AllNieces and nephews except one who cannot be found agreed to give home and

Property to his brother my father. That was 5 years ago. The house is just sitting there. Is there anything we can do without finding the one person?

Christie Tournet answered on Apr 30, 2018

Yes. There are a lot of other factors at play, however. Was the Uncle married? If not, did the Uncle have only separate property? No children? If the uncle's siblings are the only heirs, they may be able to take the property via succession - depends upon solvency of the estate, but a hearing... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Tax Law for Louisiana on

Q: Can probation and parole garish my federal and state income taxes for fees im behind on?

Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on Mar 29, 2018

Ever heard of of probation and parole being able to garnish and don't know of any statute allowing it.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Tax Law for Louisiana on

Q: Can Probation and Parole garnish my State and Federal taxes if i have overdue fines and fees to them??

I was placed on probation but ran for almost 3 years but then turned myself in so do I still have to pay the fines and fees since I am now doing my time in prision??

Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on Mar 26, 2018

Your fines are part of your sentence so yes they are still due.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Louisiana on

Q: Can a co owner who had exclusive use of the property stop paying the taxes on it let it sell in tax deed sale


Ben F Meek III answered on Feb 19, 2017

As co-owner you are jointly responsible for the taxes. Your agreement with your co-owner is not something the taxing authorities are a party to and they don't care about it. They can look to either of you or both of you to pay the taxes. And if you don't, they can attach and sell the property. Your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Louisiana on

Q: I live in Texas, must I pay louisian tax because of $19.00 received from gas well?

Jennifer Long answered on Mar 2, 2014

Determine if you have a filing requirement in Louisiana: "Louisiana residents, part-year residents of Louisiana, and nonresidents with income from Louisiana sources who are required to file a FEDERAL INCOME TAX RETURN must file a Louisiana Individual Income Tax Return." ------

Determine what...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Louisiana on

Q: Can I carry my child on my taxes without being audited if my child support payments are up to date?

Jennifer Long answered on Jan 30, 2014

It depends. The following information was taken from the IRS website:

"The payer of child support may be able to claim the child as a dependent::

-The parent with whom the child lived for the greater part of the year is the custodial parent for income tax purposes.

Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Louisiana on

Q: How do I go about setting up an installment plan to pay my delinquent property tax for 2013

Zaher Fallahi answered on Dec 8, 2013

Give the county assessor's office a call, explain your financial situation, your prior defaults in making tax payments, and ability to may installment payments, and they may consider your installment plan. Good luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Louisiana on

Q: Can the parent who is paying child support file the child as a dependent on his/her tax return?

Zaher Fallahi answered on Nov 18, 2013

Yes, if both parents agree, and the other one doesn't claim the child.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Louisiana on

Q: Does an account that is payable on death subject to inherance taxes?

Mr Jeffrey D Heck answered on Feb 5, 2011

Each state differs. For states that rely on the federal rules for estate taxes to determine taxability, yes, POD accounts are taxable.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.