Scottsdale, AZ asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Education Law and Intellectual Property for Arizona

Q: Father kicked me out of the house and has important stuff, I'm 16. What can I do?

I'm 16 and living with my mother now 30 miles away from my school. I still have to go to school and im wondering if I could legally stay with a friend until school is out. My father also has a case my mother opened against him and his girlfriend for refusing to let me and my sister see her but it's turning into a child abuse case due to the abuse they've done to me. My dad has a box of my writings and journals that can be used as evidence but I'm afraid he won't give them back to me. I have to get my stuff but those journals are very important as well as my other belongings which I don't feel safe having with them or getting myself.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: You should speak with your mother and the two of you should consult with her lawyer. Her family law lawyer can assist you in recovering your belongings.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.