Longwood, FL asked in Civil Litigation for Florida

Q: What are the legal wrights. Please see below, More Information. Thank you for your time and quick response.

My son broke up with his girlfriend and the last time he saw her in our home was on St. Patrick day. During a verbal breakup he tried to hug her to make her feel better. She is now claiming that because she told him to stop (trying to console her with a hug), that she is going to press charges against her. She is also requesting that he return all of the gifts that she gave to him, which he has done once and then re-gifted them to him. He is willing to mail the items to her to prevent any personal contact but she is saying that it is against the law to send her items without her permission. She is also threatening him that if he does not let her meet with him to received the gifts that she previously gave him that she will press charges for the hug that she was against. She now tell him that she is allowed to come on private property and enter our home to retrieve her gifts given to my son. How can we or prevent further harassment and threats from her.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Terrence H Thorgaard

  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: It sounds like she is not thinking clearly. I don't believe she is correct by saying that "it is against the law to send her items without her permission" or that "she is allowed to come on private property and enter [your] home to retrieve her gifts" .

I suggest that he not meet with her as she is demanding.

Andy Wayne Williamson

  • Santa Rosa Beach, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Your son has no power to stop or prevent her threats. Sounds like he needs to stay away from her.

She has no right to enter your property to remove anything. She would be trespassing. You can call the police on her.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.