Hacienda Heights, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: Hi, I was not able to pay the full amount of rent for this month (May) but paid $200.00 from the $1700 due.

I was not paid by my last boss to no fault of my own and he owes me a lot of money, but has not paid me so far, so my income has gone down extensively, hence the reason for my delayed rent payment. I am trying to get the rest of the money asap ($1500) but don't know when exactly.

My roommate has the lease on her name, I am just subleasing but don't have a written agreement. I want to try and pay her asap, but if she tells me to leave do I have until end of the month as she accepted the $200.00 I paid her so far.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David Piotrowski
David Piotrowski
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Valencia, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: The landlord could serve you with a 3 day notice for non-payment for the balance that you owe. If you do not pay within 3 days of being served with the 3 day notice, then the landlord could file an eviction court case against you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.