Lawrenceville, GA asked in Family Law, Municipal Law and Small Claims for Alabama

Q: I’m 16 and I turn 17 in October I live in Prichard al but my mom doesn’t support me my boyfriend douse can I move out

I live in Prichard al I turn 17 in October my boyfriend is 18 and is working and we live with my mom but she doesn’t support me anymore can I move out without her consent and what can the cops do if I refuse to live with her or my dad

1 Lawyer Answer
Kristine Jones
Kristine Jones
  • Montgomery, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: You could become emancipated and then legally you would be an adult. You are not an adult in Alabama until age 19, which means you are a minor child until you reach the age a majority and become an adult in the eyes of the law. Best of luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.