Wildwood, FL asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Florida

Q: My husband and I were separated when he died. His family sold all of his personal items without giving me anything?

When he died the drained the bank account paying the mother's credit

Card payment hid my car and stripped it and hid both boats I found one but not the other. He had tools from 20 yrs of service with caterpillar and a bunch of guns plus a bunch of personal items that they would not allow me to have. They have sold everything and told me they cut the boat in half. What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andy Wayne Williamson
Andy Wayne Williamson
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Santa Rosa Beach, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Sorry for your situation. Short answer is that if all the stuff is either gone or destroyed you likely do not have much you can really do. It will be incredibly hard to prove who did what and in the end it will cost a lot of time and money to chase assets that are long gone.

Hope this helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.