Chicago, IL asked in Adoption and Child Custody for Ohio

Q: I’m a dad of 3 girls and i want to get full custody of them. The mom has been absent for 3 years now. In another country

Mom lives in Mexico. I have all 3 girls. Age 6 10 and 11 . I can’t even get them a passport because the mom is gone. I want full legal rights. Also. My girlfriend is willing to adopt them and parent with me. I don’t know where to start

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: If you were not married to her, establish paternity then file for custody. If you are married to her, you can file for divorce and custody. Your girlfriend could not adopt them unless she becomes your wife. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local family law attorney to assist you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.