Rochester, NH asked in Domestic Violence, Family Law and Child Custody for New Hampshire

Q: my ex girlfriend was just arrested for domestic violence against her mother, can I get full custody of my son?

I have primary custody of my 6 year old son and my ex girlfriend has visitation 3 weekends a month. My ex girlfriend lives with her mother and was just arrested for becoming belligerent and throwing things through windows. My friend lives next door to her and has also said that she believes my ex girlfriend is on drugs and has witnessed her screaming at her daughter (who has a different father) daily. I fear for my sons safety if he is left with his mother for any extended period of time. Luckily, my son was not present but he usually would be as this is a weekend he would have been with his mother but she declined taking him this weekend.

1 Lawyer Answer
Amy C. Connolly
Amy C. Connolly
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Bedford, NH
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: You can file an ex parte motion to temporarily prevent parenting time with the mother so long as you can show that your son will suffer irreparable harm or injury if the relief requested is not granted. You would file this motion by going to the family court where your parenting plan was issued. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.