Grand Bay, AL asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Alabama

Q: I got into a verbal argument with my brother and was taken in, DV3rd. No evidence was gathered and it’s a first offense.

My brother and I got into a verbal argument at our parents home, the only physical contact was us being pushed away from each other. I was taken in for domestic violence in the 3rd. This is the first time I’ve ever been arrested, I’m 22, have a family and a career. I’m going to plead not guilty because I do not think there is any proof of domestic violence. There were no pictures taken, no statements taken (at least not from me). I was being uncooperative with the police which was completely out of character for me. I’m just concerned with having a record, I’m in no way a violent person, and I don’t want my name to be attached to anything like that. I live in Alabama, by the way.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kristine Jones
Kristine Jones
  • Montgomery, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: You should contact a criminal law attorney to make sure it's handled properly to not adversely impact your future. Best of luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.