Allentown, PA asked in Criminal Law and Collections for Pennsylvania

Q: We received a bad check. Can we reference filing criminal charges in the demand letter?

The issuer has made repeated promises to pay (verbally and via text) but has an excuse every time. Today we are scheduled to meet her to be paid in cash. It is likely she will, again, not show. It is our belief that the issuer knew the check was not covered at the time of issuance. Can we reference that we will be asking the police/DA to file charges? If so, how to express that without violating FDCPA. Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Norristown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: If you truly intend to turn the matter over to the police, then communicating that fact to the debtor shouldn't be a violation of the FDCPA. Telling her that she'll be imprisoned and her assets seized if she doesn't pay? *That* would be a violation.

Best of luck to you, and hope you get paid this time!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.