Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Idaho

Q: My son has 2 criminal complaints filed against him but neither the court or sheriff dept will disclose any info. Why?

My son has 3 untried criminal cases in Boise, Idaho. He is currently incarcerated in a California prison. I discovered he has 2 new criminal complaints filed that I have inquired about with the County Clerk, the Sheriff Dept and Police Dept as to what charges are being made against him in these 2 complaints. The Court informed me that the information was not available at this time, to contact law enforcement, of which I have done. Both law enforcement divisions adviced me to contact the court. The investigation should be complete if they have been filed with the court and have court docket numbers. They should be public record and available for public view. Why can't I review the case files or be informed of the charges they hold?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: In Idaho and a growing number of jurisdictions, the courts have changed systems to the new, so called "icourt" system. If actual charges have been filed then there will be generated a case number. Once the case number has been assigned you should be able to look up your son's case number(s) and see:

1. The nature of the charges

2. The assigned magistrate

3. Any court dates scheduled

This should be available JUST as quickly as a case number is assigned. Don't bother calling the Sheriff's Office - they're just as likely to be ignorant as obstreporous.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.