Houston, TX asked in Landlord - Tenant for Delaware

Q: Early-terminated lease, paid 3+ months rent and non-ending. How can I push the landlord to re-rent it or reduce my loss?

I had lease with apartment landlord that auto renews 12-months after each term ending. After stay there 2 years 3 month, I early-terminated lease and moved out due to changing employer and relocation out of Delaware. The lease has about 9 months to go before expire. Now the landlord is requesting me to pay rent till the end, or he till finds new tenant which seems not able to find one in the past 3 months.

Now I have been paying rent for past 3 months since I moved out, but there still no hope of getting the apt re-rented. The rent is near $1000 per month.

I suspect the landlord is deliberately leaving the apt vacant and preventing it be re-rented.

Is there anything I can do to reduce my loss?

It feels super sad to pay the "bad" landlord so much while he take advantage of this situation.

Related Topics:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.