Ashburn, VA asked in Child Custody and Divorce for Virginia

Q: My wife was cheating on me (i can prove it), can i keep the custody of my kids

I work in the tech field and for the past year or so, my wife has been cheating on me..before her parents were with me but suddently they have made a u turn and are telling me to continue my life as is which means that i should be ok with her seeing the other guy (totally absurd). Ofcourse I am not ok with this setup and would like to get a divorce but i am worried about my children and i cannot let them be with their mom as she is not a person who can take care of them as she is more worried about herself than the kids. Please help!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sharon R. Moss
Sharon R. Moss
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Manassas, VA

A: There is no presumption of mother over father for custody in Virginia. The court will look at what is in the best interests of the children when they are deciding on custody. You will need to have evidence that it is in the children's best interest to reside primarily with you rather than your wife. For more case specific advice, please consult an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.